Senior Associate | Valuation
- Chicago, Illinois
- Denver, Colorado
About the Position
Among the Senior Associate’s specific duties will be the following:
- Perform intensive valuation analysis, financial analysis, strategic analysis, and due diligence
- Oversee valuation engagements and assume responsibility for all aspects of client deliverables
- Perform business and intangible assets valuation engagements for fair value measurements and transactions
- Developing financial models for transaction and valuation engagements
- Assist in the planning and preparation of engagement proposals
- Gain an understanding of client operations, processes and business objectives
- Play a significant role in the training of junior professionals
Training (both formal and on-the-job) as well as credentialing (CFA, ASA) will play a significant role in professional development. The costs of these credentials and the training offerings best suited for completing these will be paid for by the firm.
About the Senior Associate
The Senior Associate will play a central and critical part in the production of Intrinsic valuations. This member of our team will participate in all phases of engagements, working simultaneously for multiple clients, applying skills in business and intangible asset valuation. He or she will work closely with other members of the appraisal team to provide among the highest quality valuation analyses in the industry.
- Three to five years of experience in a valuation role for a regional or national valuation firm
- Demonstrated experience in financial modeling, analysis, and business valuation in Financial Reporting (ASC 805, ASC 350, ASC 718, and ASC 820) and Tax contexts
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent research, organizational, and project management skills
- An intimate understanding of financial statements and ratio analyses
Together, with the above, the Senior Associate must reflect the values that are core to our firm:
- Craftsperson – We earn the respect of our clients by putting in the work so that our knowledge on matters where we serve them extends well beyond their own understanding. They come to respect and rely on us in this regard. We take enormous personal pride in our ability to contribute in this way. The satisfaction derived from mastery of the art we practice, indicated by our clients’ acknowledgment of it, and the authenticity of the relationships we build because of it, is the marquee reason we stay in this business.
- Relatable – When our clients think about who they’d like to spend time with outside of work, they think fondly of us. We genuinely like and respect each other. Our conversations are informed, but casual. They don’t feel the need to put on a corporate veneer when interacting with us, and we relate our knowledge to them succinctly, and in plain English. We get them to “ah, I got it” with expert precision in a humble yet confident way.
- Trusted Partner – A natural result of being both relatable and a master craftsman is that we become trusted partners – effective extensions of the clients we work with. Work is awarded on an uncontested basis. Over time, they may ask us to help with endeavors they know lay beyond our stated services, having developed confidence by observing us in situations where we innovate at the margin and find unique solutions in the normal course of traditional engagements. Their respect for us may manifest in other ways as well, like asking about what other kinds of work our firm performs, or referrals to other service providers. They use us as a filter and beacon for other craftsmen.
- Responsive – We care about our clients and we want them to know that. The way we show it is through responsiveness. Getting a quick response from us, at any time of day or night, even if it’s a few words, makes them know this. When we interact with them in this way, it builds a new and special dimension to the relationship. A personal one.
- Intellectual Curiosity – Part of our wiring is that we’re nerds at some level. We might have a little social anxiety, and we find solace and enjoyment in diving into topics that sharpen the saw in our craft. We’re not on a path of continuous improvement for financial reasons. We actually enjoy tinkering with concepts and tools that elevate our game. Sometimes we might want to take on an assignment that doesn’t fit with our strategy because something about it will give us the opportunity to personally explore something new.
- Commitment To The Firm – We have profound organizational ambition. We enjoy winning as a team and watching the flywheel accelerate through collaboration. We like winning independently to motivate our colleagues, and we love nothing more than watching them respond with big wins of their own. We love being the underdog together and the comradery that comes from building something special – with fewer resources and less capital than our competitors – and our clients love being a part of the process as well as we grow.
- Commitment To Each Other – As much as we like winning together, we like learning and growing together. We acknowledge each of us was carefully chosen for our inherent traits as continuous learners, having a strong desire to improve as both professionals and people. We strive to understand the challenges and demands of one another’s roles and we solve our problems, together. We know that the key to our respective individual successes is underpinned by our growth as leaders and our ability to win as a team, and we improve on both, daily.